Venous Insufficiency Treatment Center in Centennial, CO
Colorado Laser and Vein specializes in venous insufficiency treatment for patients who suffer from itching, swelling, cramping, and aching in the legs and varicose veins. For more information, call us or book an online appointment. We serve patients from Centennial CO, Southglenn CO, Englewood CO, Littleton CO, Castle Rock CO, Denver CO, and Highlands Ranch, CO.
Table of Contents:
What is venous insufficiency?
What are the causes of venous insufficiency?
What are the risk factors for venous insufficiency?
What are the symptoms of venous insufficiency?
When to Contact a medical professional
Venous insufficiency is a condition that results when the veins have problems sending blood from the legs back to the heart.
Valves in your deeper leg veins work to keep blood moving toward your heart. With Chronic Venous Disease or Insufficiency, vein walls are weakened and valves are damaged. This leads to the veins being filled with blood, especially when you are standing.
Chronic venous insufficiency is a long-term condition. It is typically a result of (incompetent) valves within the veins. It may additionally occur due to the result of past blood clots in the legs.
Risk factors for venous insufficiency include:
– History of deep vein thrombosis in the legs
– Family history of this condition
– Female gender (hormones)
– Tall height
– Sitting or standing for long periods
Pain or other symptoms include:
– Dull aching, heaviness, or cramping in legs
– Itching and tingling
– Foot Swelling
– Swelling of leg and ankles
Skin changes in the legs include:
– Swelling of the legs
– Irritated or cracked skin from scratching
– Stasis dermatitis – Red or swollen, crusted, or weepy skin
– Varicose veins on the surface
– Lipodermatosclerosis, which is Thickening and hardening of the skin on the legs and ankles
– Slow healing of Wound or ulcers on the legs or ankles
Exams and Tests
A physical examination is recommended in order to ask about your symptoms and medical history. Diagnosis can be made based on the appearance of leg veins when you are standing or sitting with your legs dangling.
Dr. Siroospour at Colorado Laser and Vein Center will discuss recommended treatments if you have:
– Leg pain, making your legs feel heavy or tired.
– Skin sores caused by poor blood flow within the veins that does not heal or recur
– Lipodermatosclerosis – Thickening and hardening of the skin on the legs and ankles
Choices of procedures include:
– Sclerotherapy — Salt water (saline) is injected into the vein. The vein hardens and then disappears.
– Procedures that can be done at a vein specialist doctor’s office or clinic, where laser or radio frequency treatment is used.
Chronic Venous Insufficiency or Venous Diseases tends to be more severe over time. However, it is manageable if treatment is started early on. By taking self-care steps, you’ll be ready to ease the discomfort and stop the condition from getting worse. It is important to check with a health care provider if medical procedures are needed to treat the condition.
Call to schedule an appointment with Dr. Siroospour at Colorado Laser and Vein Center in Centennial CO if:
– You have varicose veins and they are painful.
– Your condition gets worse or doesn’t improve with self-care, like carrying compression stockings or avoiding standing for too long.
– Your leg pain has worsened, or you have swelling, fever, redness of the leg, or leg sores.